Friday 19 October 2012

field trip to central market area

Last Wednesday, instead of having the usual tutorial class learning photoshop in a computer lab, the entire class went out to Pasar Seni for a field trip. It wasn't like I have never been there before, but going there on a class trip just seemed a lot more exciting than going there to shop for items. It was a chance for us to pretend to be tourists and take pictures a plenty. Which I did! :)

This graffiti really caught my eye in the sense that this woman seems to be a mixture of certain elements. She looks like a plain woman by the looks of her dressing, but her hairstyle could suggest that she used to be a woman of grace and elegance. The two round spots on her cheek could also suggest makeup during her elegant days, & the drips from her eyes and makeup might show that something happened to her that forced her from a life of riches to a life of poverty.

I see these stamps everywhere, and I thought that whoever made this was trying to send a message that the person exists and wants to stand out among all the talented graffiti artists around the area.

This building was interesting to me because the yellows doors and windows all show a sense of unity, something a bit rare around the area seeing as Pasar Seni is a mix of cultures and art.

The row of grafitti that can be seen at the far end of the sewer drain.

One of my favourites. I think the artist has a really cool sense of the KL style. To me, it sends a message that KL is not what it seems, and the meaning of the city can look different to tourists and to citizens who have lived long enough to truly know KL for what it is. 

Just a random piece of architecture that we were hanging around, near the Pasar Seni LRT station. I really loved the angle from where I was standing, so I snapped a picture of it. 

The vibrant and bright colours of the graffiti along the sewer drain. 

I thought it was interesting how a Malaysian flag was just standing there flying in the wind beside this tall, huge building with amazing architecture style. I just had to zoom in and capture the view.

Trying out my colour accent feature in my camera, teehee. 

I think picture very nicely highlights the LRT pulling into the station as well as the row of graffiti below the station.

Two very important workers of the city; without them, the city would not be clean. I also thought it very interesting that two Malaysian flags are stuck by the cart- a good display of patriotism. 

A really gorgeous lamp hanging from the ceiling of Pasar Seni. 

A bright display of I <3 KL t-shirts hanging in a row. If there were more colours, then the picture might have looked nicer.

A mak cik printing t-shirts in one of the shops in Pasar Seni.

The hand bracelets that we bought from one of the small stalls in Pasar Seni.


More display of graffiti. I like how there are tall buildings in the background- it sums up the flowing river nicely (even though the river could use a good cleaning).

Our design class!

More graffiti. 

A small graffiti showing the 55th year of Malaysian independence. I wonder how the artist balances the even-ness of the banner tails. Also, there is a tinier graffiti of the body of man with the head of a chicken, to the right of the 55th year graffiti. 

Cute cat, who was either stuck up there and couldn't get down, or just cautiously watching all of us walk past it. 

All in all, the row of graffiti art near the river is especially amazing; we definitely have a lot of talented Malaysians. Also, amongst all the shops in Pasar Seni itself, my favorites would definitely have to be the Arabian-Moroccan styled ones. Too bad I wasn't able to take more pictures because I don't think many of the shopkeepers would have fancied it, and they were all rather sharp-eyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment