Thursday 18 October 2012

research on colour

I've had a few favourite colours over the past few years, but the current colour I'm really attracted to would be turquoise.

Turquoise is actually a blue-ish tone of green, and the colour comes from the gem Turquoise. This is an example of what turquoise gems look like:
Before this, I honestly had no idea that turquoise was a type of mineral; I thought that it was just some form of a colour that someone mixed up. The above picture is one of the more natural, realistic photo of the turquoise minerals/gemstones that I could find.

The turquoise gemstones can actually change colour when mixed with other chemicals, or when it has been exposed to dust or the acidity of the skin. I believe that is where the original variations of colour of turquoise came from. What I've found is that there are 5 variations of turquoise:

Celeste.

Light turquoise.

Cyan.

Medium turquoise.

Dark turquoise.

Pearl mystique turquoise (very similar to dark turquoise but this one has more of a pearly tone)

When looking at turquoise, sometimes I feel calm, because the colour reminds me of the sea (turquoise has been used to describe the colour of the Caribbean sea!), and sometimes I feel a sense of excitement, especially when the shade of turquoise is bright and sharp enough to capture one's eye from a far corner. To me, turquoise can tell a lot more stories compared to colours like blue or red, because it is a colour that is somewhat between blue and green. It is, of course, all up to one's imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment